Dr. Fabian Buder
Head of Future & Trends Research
Fabian leads the Future & Trends research group, which examines the future of decision-making in markets and strives for a better understanding of innovations and trends that may lead to disruptive changes in human decision-making. We create evidence-based insights into the impact of emerging developments on decision-making and how "to make the future" by taking actions toward better decisions.
As a Sociologist by training and a multidisciplinary researcher by choice, Fabian started his professional career working in the field of socially sustainable urban development and economic development programs. His PhD in Agricultural and Food Marketing in 2011 from the University of Kassel, Germany, revealed the motives of German shoppers regarding their consumption practices towards organic food products. After, joining the global market research company GfK SE, he advised food companies with information on consumer behavior and market trends. Following his passion for research, he left GfK in 2013 to join NIM Nuremberg Institute for Market Decisions. Since 2018, he leads the Future & Trends Research Group.
In recent years at NIM, he has led research projects on topics such as the future of market insights industry, the viability of business models in a post-pandemic world and he joined forces with the Institute for the Future IFTF to research the value of foresight for organizations. Currently, his research interests include topics such as the role of a “Purpose beyond Profit” for businesses, the future of management decision-making practices, and the question of how foresight can be leveraged more effectively for decision-making in organizations. In addition to his research interests, he is a frequent lecturer at German and international universities, workshop facilitator and keynote speaker.
Since 2021 Fabian is a Reserach Affiliate at the Institute for the Future IFTF.
List of publications since 2019:
- Buder, F. & Kittinger, C. (Im Druck): Purpose beyond Profit: Things That Matter When Millenials go Job Hunting. In: NIM Marketing Intelligence Review, Vol 13, No. 2.
- Buder, F. & Dieckmann, A. (im Druck): Wie junge Toptalente nach Sinn streben - Warum Purpose beyond Profit ein Wettbewerbsvorteil im Kampf um die besten Köpfe ist. In: Controlling, Spezialausgabe 2021 | 1.
- Buder, F., Pauwels, K. & Daikoku, K. (im Druck): The Illusion of Free Choice in the Age of Augmented Decisions. In: NIM Marketing Intelligence Review, Vol 13, No. 1.
- Buder, F. (2021): The Value of Foresight in a VUCA World. Results from a Survey of Organizational Foresight Capacity. Research Report, Nuremberg Institute for Market Decisions.
- Buder, F. (2020): Measuring the impact of strategic foresight - results from a survey of organizational foresight capacity. In: Toward Future Readiness - A Playbook for Building Foresight Capacity. Institute for the Future IFTF.
- Buder, F. & Neus, A. (2020): Trägt Ihr Geschäftsmodell in der Welt nach Corona? In: Corona - Lehren aus der Krise. Nürnberg Institut für Marktentscheidungen e. V. [https://www.nim.org/sites/default/files/medien/359/dokumente/2020_tragt_...
- Buder, F. (2020): Resilienter aus der Krise: Was Unternehmen nach Corona anders machen wollen. In: Corona - Lehren aus der Krise. Nürnberg Institut für Marktentscheidungen e. V. [https://www.nim.org/sites/default/files/medien/359/dokumente/2020_nim_co...
- Buder, F. (2020): Geschäftsmodelle - Den Betrieb neu denken. WiM – Wirtschaft in Mittelfranken, Ausgabe 07|2020 [https://www.ihk-nuernberg.de/de/anwendungen/DokumentPDF.jsp?uuid=e57f12f...
- Buder, F., Dieckmann, A., Manewitsch, V., Dietrich, H., Wiertz, C. , Banerjee, A. , Acar, O.A. and Ghosh, A. (2020): Adoption Rates for Contact Tracing App Configurations in Germany. Research Report, Nuremberg Institute for Market Decisions [https://www.nim.org/sites/default/files/medien/359/dokumente/2020_nim_re...
- Buder, F., Stoltenberg, B., Kahdemann & D., Dietrich, H. (2020): Broken Promises and Real Achievements of Artificial Intelligence. Short Report, Nuremberg Institute for Market Decisions[https://www.nim.org/sites/default/files/medien/359/dokumente/nim_short_r...
- Buder, F., D., Dietrich, H. & Stoltenberg, B.(2020): Business Challenges for the 2020s. Short Report, Nuremberg Institute for Market Decisions[https://www.nim.org/sites/default/files/medien/359/dokumente/nim_short_r...
- Buder, F., Dieckmann, A., Dietrich, H. & Wieting, J. (2019): Technologies to turn future brick-and-mortar stores into data-rich environments. NIM Marketing Intelligence Review, Vol 11, No. 1, pp. 49-53. [DOI: https://doi.org/10.2478/nimmir-2019-0008]
- Buder, F., Schmitt, N., Kahdemann, D. & Artykova, K. (2019): Voices of the Leaders of Tomorrow: Purpose Beyond Profit. Nuremberg Institute for Market Decisions & St. Gallen Symposium.